One of the most visited towns in all of Asturias is also one of its oldest. Serving as the entrance to the parks of Covadonga, the village of Cangas de Onís is inundated every weekend and throughout the summer with religious tourists who've come to pay tribute to the spiritual heart of Asturias.
On Calle Cimadeville, just past the open arch of the Ayuntamiento building, La Más Barata is one of Oviedo's most famous and popular restaurants.
Jutting out into the Cantabrian sea, Cabo Peñas (the Cape of Rocks) is the most northern point in Asturias and an area of incredible natural beauty. We spent the day driving around the coast, from Luanco to the Lighthouse of San Juan de Nieva.
Our first two months in Asturias were marked by incredibly sunny weather. People kept warning us that this wasn't normal, and to prepare ourselves for rain in October.
The road between Colunga and Arriondas winds through the Sueve mountain range. Midway through the drive, is a viewpoint called the Mirador del Fito, which offers an incredible view of the ocean, valleys and the Picos de Europa in the distance.
About 30 kilometers due west of Oviedo is the small town of Grado, home to about 7000 people.
The official Anthem of Asturias, popularly elected in the 1890s, is a curious song. It's unlike any "national" anthem I've ever heard. There's nothing grand about it, and it seems more suited to a traditional dance than a national statement of identity. But, here, you be the judge:
After admiring the relics in the Cámara Santa, visitors can continue their journey through the ancient wing of Oviedo's Cathedral by ascending to the second floor into the Museum of Sacred Art. This museum opened in 1990, and is one of Asturias' more important collections of religious iconography.
A couple years before the Spanish Civil War, a mini-revolution would rock Asturias and Oviedo. The Miners' Strike of 1934, or the Revolución de Asturias, lasted just two weeks but resulted in a lot of carnage. It was one of the first indications that the bad blood between "The Two Spains" was about to boil over.
Accessed through a passage on the southern side of the Cathedral, the Pre-Romanesque Cámara Santa dates from the 9th century. It was originally King Alfonso's private chapel, and today houses some of the most important relics in Asturias. In 1998, UNESCO declared it a World Heritage Site.
We were first introduced to this small seaside village during the madness of the Descenso del Sella, when over 300,000 revelers use an annual boat race as an excuse to party. With so much going on, we had no chance to see the town, and so went back.
Carbayón is a word with various meanings to the people of Oviedo. First and foremost, it refers to a beloved oak tree which had been the symbol of Oviedo for centuries, until it was torn down to make room for Calle Uria in 1879. The term "carbayón" can also refer to a native of Oviedo.